Morero to meet residents as COJ targets illegal connections


Johannesburg Mayor Dada Morero, alongside Members of the Mayoral Committee and city officials, will on Tuesday engage with residents in the Johannesburg inner city.

The visit will focus on issues relating to the delivery of basic services.

City officials are expected to visit several areas in the city centre following last week’s operation during which illegal structures erected on Small Street were demolished.

Authorities will also target Marble Towers, where electricity and water supplies are expected to be disconnected because of illegal connections.

The City says the operation forms part of ongoing efforts to address infrastructure challenges, enforce municipal by-laws and improve service delivery in the inner city.

Officials are also expected to engage residents on issues affecting water, electricity and public safety in the area.

VIDEO | Service delivery operation in JHB CBD:


Meanwhile, the Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department (JMPD) has urged motorists to avoid parts of the Johannesburg CBD due to expected traffic disruptions.

Traffic officials say Von Wielligh Street between Rahima Moosa and Pritchard streets will be affected.

JMPD spokesperson Xolani Fihla says officers have been deployed to key areas to manage traffic flow and maintain safety.

“JMPD officers are stationed at key intersections to divert traffic and ensure the safety of pedestrians and personnel on the ground. Motorists are advised to avoid Von Wielligh Street between Rahima Moosa and Pritchard Streets.”

“Expect heavy delays in the inner city and use alternative north-south routes, such as Troye Street or Delvers Street, where possible. The City of Johannesburg remains committed to bringing back law and order.”

Motorists travelling through the Johannesburg inner city have been advised to allow extra travel time and make use of alternative routes where possible.

VIDEO | Mayor’s plan for City of Johannesburg: Dada Morero