Minister Mantashe fears five trapped miners may be dead


Mineral and Petroleum Resources Minister Gwede Mantashe says there is a possibility that the five mineworkers trapped at Ekapa Minerals mine in Kimberley, Northern Cape, since Tuesday – following a mudslide incident are deceased.

Mantashe made these remarks following an inspection visit to the mine on Friday morning.

Minister Mantashe says the situation at Ekapa is a disaster following the announcement of 41 deaths of miners last year. He says rescue efforts will take longer than anticipated.

“What you should remember we have just announced a record of 41 deaths in the industry at 2025, and are starting this new year with a disaster which is a bad sign for the industry. But we are here. They were hoping that those people would be rescued. We have gone underground I can tell you it’s going to take longer than expected. We can sugar coat it to make people grow hope but it’s difficult cause there is water this side there is drilling happening is 20 metres about the body and it is a complex exercise. What is important is that the mining company is more focused now on rescuing those people to us that is a take away.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xpfVJFS4R4

NUMSA has requested Minister Mantashe to look into issues of safety at the diamond mine that was previously owned by De Beers Mines.

NUMSA Kimberley organiser Lerato Mohatlane says, “Where we are standing here is a crime scene. It is not for the first time that we as numsa encounter such crises. We have been trying to reach out to the relevant departments that can come and deal with the crises that are taking place at this mine.”

“Nothing has been happening, hence we are calling on the minister to look deeper into this matter because there is a lot that is happening here. There is a lot that is happening here, there are a lot of issues that we can disclose to him if given a chance to engage him, so that he can understand and know what is happening here at Ekapa.” She added.