More than 20 boys rescued from bogus initiation schools in Gauteng


The Sedibeng Committee of Initiation Schools says it has rescued more than 20 boys from bogus initiation schools around the Vaal and Westonaria since Friday.

The committee says the rescue mission, which included police, came after a number of families sought help after their sons disappeared.

This follows the opening of initiation school season last week.

Committee Chairperson Radikeledi Letuma says they have shutdown a number of illegal initiation schools in the Louisrus and Rietkuil areas.

Some of the families whose children were taken to the initiation schools said they cannot afford the initiations processes and their children were allegedly taken to the initiation schools against their will.

Meanwhile, the committee says it has rescued boys in the ages of between 13 and 15.

The Customary Act of 2021 in the country does not allow anyone under the age of 16 to attend initiation school.

The Sedibeng Committee of Initiation School has vowed to continue cracking down on illegal initiation schools during this time when the initiation season is in full swing.

VIDEO | In the North West, 40 initiation school principals have been issued permits: