Prosecution wants defence case closed in Nafiz Modack trial


The prosecution in the trial of alleged underworld crime boss, Nafiz Modack has asked the court to exercise its powers and deem the defence’s case closed.

The state and the defense on Monday presented heads of argument in the Western Cape High Court.

 

Last week Judge Robert Henney ordered both parties to make submissions. He told Modack’s lawyer, Advocate Bashier Sibda to close his case if he does not have anymore witnesses with relevant evidence.

“If you had a witness you would’ve told me ‘look can’t’ we put this application I have witnesses’. That is the difficulty I have and I cannot postpone every time and I will not. I  will not let you because it’s an abuse of process. In respect of other accused they also need to know what their case with accused number one is for them to prepare with their defence.

Judge Henney will make a ruling on the matter on Wednesday.

VIDEO | Nafiz Modack Trial | Judge orders written submission from defence, state