NotInMyName to protest at Prinshof School over sexual assault claim


NotInMyName International says it will stage a demonstration outside the Prinshof School for the Blind in Pretoria on Monday.

The movement is demanding justice following the alleged sexual assault of a 14-year-old learner by a male teacher at the school.

According to a statement from NIMN, the child confided in her father, saying she no longer feels safe at the school, alleging that she had been sexually assaulted by one of her teachers.

The organisation’s spokesperson, Themba Masango, has condemned what it calls the abuse of power, saying schools should be places of safety, not fear for children.

“We hold the school management accountable for their apparent failure to protect this child and to create a safe environment where learners can thrive without fear. The fact that this was uncovered by a vigilant parent, and not through the school’s own safeguarding mechanisms, is a damning indictment of its leadership,” says Masango.