-
Gauteng Premier Panyaza Lesufi playing pool during a site visit to the George Goch Hostel.
Gauteng Premier Panyaza Lesufi says he is encouraged by the progress being made in the revamp project of the George Goch Hostel, on the outskirts of the Johannesburg CBD. Lesufi visited the hostels owned by the Provincial Department of Human Settlements on Thursday.
The year-on-year phased project which cost the Gauteng government about R120 million so far, accommodates over 6 000 people – mostly from rural KwaZulu-Natal.
Lesufi says the living conditions of the people were dire before the government made some improvements.
“This place was messy. I was ashamed to be honest, that we had allowed our people to stay in these conditions. Children couldn’t play, we didn’t know who was staying here, who should stay here. The entire infrastructure was bad. People were washing with cold water, there was no electricity, no lighting. We have put literally everything, the pavement, the roof is back, we have put electricity, we have put, even what I say nice to have, which are a reality nowadays, it is free WIFI.”
Lesufi says a lot still needs to be done to improve accommodation at several hostels.
“These are hostels that are owned by the provincial government. We can do with them, but if you go outside, the other hostels that are owned by municipalities, that people are still living in those conditions. So, I’m relieved, I must be honest. It’s a work in progress. At least we have restored the dignity of our people, and to me that’s what matters. I can’t be a public figure or a public representative when majority of people were staying in the conditions that they were in. So, I’m a little bit relieved. And also, to develop an area when people are sitting or staying in that area, it’s extremely difficult. But to have it the way it is, I mean I’ve seen the before and after photos, it’s heartwarming, it’s encouraging.”
VIDEO | The residents are pleased with the improvements:
[PICTURES]: Premier Panyaza @Lesufi, alongside @GP_DHS MEC @TasneemMotara and @GautengeGov MEC Bonginkosi Dhlamini today conducted a site visit at the George Goch Hostel in Johannesburg as part of ongoing oversight and service delivery interventions.
The leadership engaged… pic.twitter.com/64akZ1owER
— Gauteng Provincial Gov (@GautengProvince) May 20, 2026
Meanwhile, Gauteng Human Settlements MEC Tasneem Motara, who last inspected revamping work at the hostels in February is optimistic that the project will be completed in two years’ time if all goes according to plan.
“We do periodic site inspections just to come and check on progress. So, the progress has been steady. I’m quite satisfied that we’ll meet our deadline. In the five hostels, we have about six months left. The one we started very late, only late last year. So that one will still be for two years. They differ. I know in George Goch, there’s about 6 000 people. So, they differ from hostel to hostel. They also fluctuate because there’s people going in and out all the time.”
