-
Law enforcement still stationed outside the Marble Towers pending judgment from the JHB High court.
The Johannesburg High Court is expected to deliver judgment tomorrow on an urgent application brought by the owners of Marble Towers in the Johannesburg city centre.
The building owners approached the court seeking an interdict to stop the City of Johannesburg from demolishing illegally erected structures inside the building.
The city also intends to disconnect illegal water and electricity connections at the property.
Johannesburg Mayor Dada Morero led a by-law enforcement operation at Marble Towers this morning.
Morero says the building owes the city more than R14 million in unpaid rates and taxes, as well as water and electricity charges.
The City says its clean-up and by-law enforcement operations in and around the Johannesburg CBD, including areas near the Magistrate’s Court, will continue despite legal challenges.
The operation targets illegal trading and non-compliance in the inner city. City officials say the campaign is aimed at restoring order and ensuring compliance with municipal regulations.
Authorities say traders had already been issued notices before enforcement operations and removals began.
COJ continues its clean-up and by-law enforcement operation
BREAKING: City of Johannesburg demolition of illegal structures inside the Marble Towers in the heart of the CBD has been put on ice after an urgent interdict. #Sabcnews pic.twitter.com/61qmyuVM3M
— Lopang (@LopangAlamu) May 19, 2026
Law enforcement still stationed outside the Marble Towers pending judgment from the JHB High court after the “Owner/s” of the building filed an urgent interdict to stop the demolition of allegal illegal structures inside. The city says the building owes R14million + #Sabcnews pic.twitter.com/2cwdVgGBK6
— Lopang (@LopangAlamu) May 19, 2026
