-
North West businessman, Brown Mogotsi
Police have confirmed that the firearm used in the alleged staged assassination attempt of Brown Mogotsi in November last year has been positively linked to several other cases. The incident happened in Vosloorus, east of Johannesburg.
Mogotsi appeared briefly at the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Monday morning, where his case was postponed to next Monday for a bail application.
WATCH | Brown Mogotsi’s lawyer says the charges against his client are quite serious and he could face up to 15 years imprisonment. pic.twitter.com/9hezoIStBz
— SABC News (@SABCNews) May 18, 2026
Mogotsi is facing a string of charges, including perjury, defeating the ends of justice, possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition, as well as discharging a firearm in a municipal area.
WATCH | The bail hearing of alleged political fixer Brown Mogotsi has been postponed to Monday 25 May while the state verifies the address his defence provided. pic.twitter.com/X4FLQOkw7p
— SABC News (@SABCNews) May 18, 2026
WATCH | SAPS’ Brig Athlenda Mathe has warned the public against supplying false information to the police. She further revealed that the firearm used in Brown Mogotsi’s alleged assassination attempt has been linked to other criminal activities. pic.twitter.com/92yJYXXVyn
— SABC News (@SABCNews) May 18, 2026
“We also added further charges, including possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition, because our ballistics report indicates that the firearm used on the evening when shots were fired at Mr Brown Mogotsi’s vehicle has been linked to other crimes as well. In 2020, it was linked to a Roodepoort armed robbery case in which a motorist was robbed of his belongings and shots were fired,” says National police spokesperson, Athlenda Mathe.
VIDEO | Brown Mogotsi | Case adjourned until next Monday for a formal bail application
