Limpopo police urged to prioritise GBV cases


The African National Congress Women’s League (ANCWL) has called on police to prioritise cases of gender-based violence (GBV) in Limpopo.

The league led a march to the offices of the provincial police and the National Prosecuting Authority in Polokwane.

They are also demanding harsher sentences for perpetrators of GBV.

President Cyril Ramaphosa declared gender-based violence a national disaster on Friday last week.

While handing the memorandum to police, the provincial secretary of the league, Tebogo Mamorobela made a call to the police to establish police units specialising in the fight against gender-based violence.

“It is important to note that weak investigations often lead to the collapse of cases allowing perpetrators to escape justice and walk free. This discourages victims from opening cases or following up because they feel nothing will happen. These challenges have devastating effects. Without thorough investigations and proper evidence management justice cannot be achieved,” says Mamorobela.

Meanwhile, Limpopo Police Commissioner, Thembi Hadebe says 20 women were killed in domestic related violence in August this year.

Hadebe was speaking while receiving a memorandum of grievances from marchers led by the ANC Women’s League.

Hadebe made a commitment to prioritise cases of gender-based violence and strengthening police units responsible for investigations.

“Gender Based Violence does not only affect women it also affects men, but it mainly affects us as women severely as compared to the men because you can see what is happening. In August, I had more than 20 women who were killed in love triangle relationships in domestic set ups and killed by people they indicated they loved,” says Hadebe.

VIDEO | Chikunga backs Ramaphosa’s declaration on GBV: