-
A man stands at a branch of the South African Post Office.
The South African Post Office has suspended all outbound parcel services containing goods to the US with immediate effect until further notice.
However, the Post Office says that documents, letters, and exempt mail, such as military mail, will still be delivered to the United States.
In a statement, the Post Office says this decision was taken due to the new regulations introduced by the US President Donald Trump administration on 30 July 2025.
The new regulations have removed the duty-free allowance for incoming international parcels.
Previously, the duty-free allowance was up to $800.
The Post Office says that until a new system is in place to manage this process, parcels cannot be dispatched.
It also states that any parcels already received at its Germiston international mail centre that cannot be processed under the new rules will be returned to the sender.
The SA Post Office temporarily suspends all parcel services to USA due to US government regulations.
— SA Post Office (@PostofficeSa) August 29, 2025