-
Law enforcement officials seen during an operation at the Grasmere Plaza in Gauteng.
Deputy Transport Minister Mkhuleko Hlengwa says there will be heightened law enforcement on all major routes across the country this festive period. This is in an attempt to reduce the road carnage.
He was speaking during the festive season Road Safety Campaign at the Grasmere Toll Plaza south of Johannesburg earlier today.
So far, 571 people have died in road crashes since the start of the festive period.
Gauteng recorded the highest number of fatalities at 96, followed by KwaZulu-Natal with 77 and the Western Cape at 74 deaths.
FESTIVE SEASON ROAD SAFETY CAMPAIGN
EVERYDAY WITHOUT A ROAD DEATH
Do not drink and drive! The consequences are very serious and you could end up in jail!#ArriveAlive #ProjectEdwardSA2024 pic.twitter.com/2O39kDzQ3U
— Department of Transport (@Dotransport) December 20, 2024
Hlengwa says law enforcement officials will be out in full force.
“The numbers stand at about 571 so far and that is why we are continuing with the operations and we are reinforcing what we had done. We identified the top 20 problematic routes in the country and there is the deployment of the national traffic police who are working with the provinces and the MEC has increased deployment here as well to make sure that there is a heightened focus on all the problematic roads.”
VIDEO | Hlengwa says motorists should not drink and drive.