-
Justice for Cwecwe march in Johannesburg
Over 100 people, including activists and students, marched across Johannesburg on Sunday calling for justice for a 7-year-old girl raped at her Eastern Cape school. The learner was allegedly molested at the school in Matatiele in October last year whilst waiting for her transport back home. The perpetrator is yet to be arrested.
The rape incident of the little girl has sparked widespread outrage and condemnation, including on social media. It is alleged that the school management refused to cooperate with the police during their investigation and this has led the Eastern Cape Education Department to de-register the Matatiele-based independent school.
Thank you so much South Africa!!!! 🇿🇦
We see you!!!!! Justice for Cwecwe. AGRIFORUM MUST FALL!!! We dare them to defend this 🔥🔥🔥🔥 pic.twitter.com/3BxjE3AC7l
— Khotsofalang🌐 🌍 (@RK_Mayekisa) March 30, 2025
Wits University SRC President Nombulelo Chiya says government needs to take action and ensure perpetrators face serious consequences.
“I don’t think enough has been done because there are so many cases that go unreported; even those cases that are reported have no one who gets to the bottom of this. So, it looks like everyone who does this to our women and kids never faces consequences. People are not afraid to go out there and rape children and abuse women because they know very well that no one will be arrested.”
JUSTICE FOR CWECWE 💜
JUSTICE FOR CWECWE 💜
JUSTICE FOR CWECWE 💜
JUSTICE FOR CWECWE 💜
JUSTICE FOR CWECWE 💜
JUSTICE FOR CWECWE 💜
JUSTICE FOR CWECWE 💜
Sign Petition: https://t.co/rDpUcJSodp#JusticeForCwecwe #UnburyTheTruth #womenforchange #aminext pic.twitter.com/DOlPGnUxOf— Women For Change (@womenforchange5) March 30, 2025
Those who participated in the march shared their thoughts
“I feel like it is a disservice for us to always complain and always have to do these marches and meetings, but yet the government isn’t doing anything about it.”
“I don’t think men are doing enough to fight against GBV because even if you can look at men, we need to do better.”
Activist Norma Mbele from Tosunga Baninga, an organisation fighting gender-based violence, has called for a constitutional amendment to deal harshly with perpetrators of GBV.
“We don’t see any change as long as we don’t see the amendment of the constitution, which has all the rights for perpetrators. Read our constitution and tell me if there is a law that says the perpetrator has a right to xyz. I’ve never seen a law that protects the victim.”
Themba Masango, co-founder of the civil rights movement Not In My Name, has called on law enforcement to prioritize the case.
“The law enforcement agencies must make sure because this is the case of 2024 in October, and we cannot afford for justice to take long because when justice is delayed, it is justice denied, so we can’t afford to have this case dragging. We are calling on officials to make sure that this case is given the highest priority.”
Police investigations continue.
WATCH: Cwecwe | Support to the victim and family needs to be ongoing: Dr Shaheda Omar