Lt-Gen Sibiya to resume testimony at Madlanga Commission


Lieutenant-General Shadrack Sibiya will continue to testify before the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry in Pretoria.

The suspended Deputy National Commissioner for Crime Detection began his highly anticipated testimony before the probe on Wednesday.

He said he was surprised when Police Minister Senzo Mchunu issued a letter in which he ordered the disbandment of the Political Killings Task Team (PKTT).

He testified that he and top cop, General Fannie Masemola, were “together” on the implementation plan he signed following the PKTT disbandment directive issued by Mchunu in December 2024 – that came as no surprise to Masemola.

He was responding to various allegations made against him, including claims of his close proximity to cartel members.

Sibiya is accused of ties to alleged key players in organised crime Katiso ‘KT’ Molefe and Vusimuzi ‘Cat’ Matlala.

Molefe and Matlala allegedly gave Sibiya money in exchange for protection.

Sibiya has denied any wrongdoing saying the allegations against him are politically motivated.

Witnesses before the Madlanga Commission have testified that Sibiya was not only gifted impalas by Matlala, but also received money from him.

General Sibiya told the Commission that no credible evidence has been produced that points to him having a friendship with Matlala.

Sibiya has testified that he first met Matlala in January 2024 when he came to his office with his attorney to complain about his Medicare24 contract. While Sibiya stateed that no friendship existed between them they have interacted beyond that.

Witness C has previously testified that Matlala told him that he gave Sibiya money for a property venture. He also testified that Sibiya allegedly received money from Matlala which was a contribution for his son’s wedding.