-
KZN businessman, Calvin Mathibeli.
Police in KwaZulu-Natal have responded to allegations made by KZN businessman Calvin Mathibeli, founder and CEO of Calvin and Family Group.
Mathibeli has accused KZN police of plotting to kill him and staging it to appear as though he was fully armed. His claims follow a raid at his offices in Umhlanga, Durban.
He says that on 19 December 2025, he received a call informing him that certain police officers had been instructed to kill him and that they were already on their way.
He claims that later that day, members of several police units – including the PKTT and the K9 Unit – arrived at one of his family residences, surrounded the house, pointed firearms at the property, and identified themselves as police officers while ordering him to come outside.
In a statement posted on his social media platforms, Mathibeli denies living off protection fees from businesses in the security and taxi sectors, saying he owns a company that employs more than 5 000 people nationwide.
“I am fully aware of the plans being orchestrated against me; these are not new. SAPS in KZN has become a network that some use for personal gain rather than public service. I will not be bullied in the name of policing nor be silenced by coercion. I stand for the truth and I am ready to defend it. What is built on injustice will fall. What is rooted in truth and aligned with God’s purpose will stand.”
He further accuses KZN police of being a network used for personal gain rather than public service.
SAPS in KwaZulu-Natal says it has noted Mathibeli’s social media post with disdain. It says officers in the province are working tirelessly to restore public trust and that no malicious attack on police will be left unchallenged.
“Nobody is above the law, and any wrongdoing by police must be reported to the relevant authorities, not through a miscalculated smear campaign of disseminating fabricated untruths.”
#sapsKZN The South African Police Service in KwaZulu-Natal has noted with disdain the malicious, baseless, unfounded and somewhat threatening social media post by a businessman in KwaZulu-Natal.
Police in KwaZulu-Natal are working tirelessly to regain the trust that the… pic.twitter.com/CdfDnXJ9cP
— SA Police Service 🇿🇦 (@SAPoliceService) February 16, 2026
