-
An entrance to an underground mine.
Four illegal miners have resurfaced on their own in Shaft 10 in Stilfontein near Klerksdorp in the North West.
According to the illegal miners, they were initially lured with promises of legitimate employment only to discover upon arrival that they had been recruited into illegal mining operations.
Once underground they were informed that leaving was not an option. They are now under medical supervision.
One of the illegal miners who emerged today says desperation and hunger ultimately forced them to take the risk of coming to the surface.
“They told us it wasn’t a contract job and forced us underground at gunpoint. Now, they’re letting people come out because they’ve realised there’s no food or water left. When I surfaced, I saw one or two people who had died, possibly from hunger,” says one of those who have resurfaced.
VIDEO | Police are expected to later release a statement regarding the miners’ condition:
Miners have been resurfacing from underground:
#sapsNW Twenty illegal miners resurfaced today, 27 November 2024 at Margaret Shaft. They consist of 10 Lesotho, six Zimbabwean and four Mozambican nationals. They are still being processed. #IllegalMining ML pic.twitter.com/9Ktgyenxee
— SA Police Service 🇿🇦 (@SAPoliceService) November 27, 2024