Family reels as accused plead guilty to Mehlape murder


The family of the slain Limpopo Education Circuit Manager Malekutu Mehlape says they are shocked that the people who were suspected to have killed him in 2023 are confirming the suspicions by pleading guilty.  

Dr Mehlape was shot and killed while asleep at his home in Mankweng outside Polokwane.  

His daughter, Mologadi Mehlape pleaded guilty in June last year to hiring hit men. She was sentenced to life imprisonment.

A traditional healer and one of the accused, Hlologelo Mogotlane also pleaded guilty to the murder on Monday at the Polokwane High Court and sentenced to 25 years in jail. 

Mehlape family spokesperson, Mapao Mehlape says they are in a deep pain and they need justice to prevail to everyone involved. 

“I am feeling a very big pain, each time this case comes to court we feel a lot of pain. He was murdered and we burred him, but that pain is not living our bodies. We need justice to prevail to everyone involved. The daughter is still young, and it might be she was used by others. Our hearts are bleeding and we are not healing.”