-
Limpopo Premier Phophi Ramathuba addresses the Ga-Maja community in Limpopo.
Limpopo Premier Phophi Ramathuba says a forensic investigation has found that the death of three people last month at Ga-Maja, Mmotong-wa-Bogobe village, was caused by food contamination.
Several community members complained of symptoms including diarrhoea, severe headaches and stomach complications after consuming food at a funeral.
More than 70 people were hospitalised and have since been discharged. Ramathuba together with Limpopo Health MEC Dieketseng Mashego, visited the village.
Ramathuba says investigations by health officials did not find poison.
“ They ruled out poisoning, but contamination, food contamination, especially when we look at the food handlers, because there were those who were part of the team that prepared the food, who confessed that the other ones said they had diarrhoea. When you have got diarrhoea, you know this is a village set up, for you to go to the bathroom and you will come back not having cleaned properly, you might have unknowingly contaminated the food.”
Premier Dr @PhophiRamathuba updated the Maja community on the suspected food poisoning incident. She said SAPS opened inquest cases and formed a dedicated investigation team, while the Department of Health conducted post mortems and sent samples for forensic analysis. pic.twitter.com/1QiGzYNvot
— Limpopo Provincial Government (@OtpLimpopo) May 20, 2026
Toxicology results received on 14 May 2026 found no traces of poison, chemicals, or drugs. The findings do not support claims that poison was present. #7thAdministration #ALimpopoThatWorksForAll #LetsGrowLimpopoTogether pic.twitter.com/48QBOVqd5V
— Limpopo Provincial Government (@OtpLimpopo) May 20, 2026
She also acknowledged the affected families, saying that while the laboratory results provide clarity, they cannot take away the pain of losing a loved one or ease the trauma and emotional burden the community continues to carry. #7thAdministration #ALimpopoThatWorksForAll pic.twitter.com/2MjkjNVQaj
— Limpopo Provincial Government (@OtpLimpopo) May 20, 2026
Some community members have welcomed the report.
“We appreciate the doctor’s report because it’s something that has been bothering us for quite a while, wanting to know what has actually happened. We wanted a full report on what actually transpired, happened on that particular day,” says one of the residents.
Another resident says; ” We are satisfied with the report we got. We have been waiting for it for a while, so we are happy because the samples were taken to professionals who are the ones who gave us the report to say indeed it was not poison as suspected by the community.”
VIDEO | The Limpopo government has been working with the police on the matter:
– Report by Nsuku Shiluvana
