-
Outside a home in Hyde Park, Johannesburg where a shooting of a gardener is set to have taken place by the son a former Zimbabwean president on 19 January 2026.
A son of a former Zimbabwean president is being questioned by the police following the alleged shooting of a gardener in his Hyde Park home, north of Johannesburg.
Earlier reports had said a guard had been shot.
The victim has been hospitalised following the incident.
Police are currently at the scene.
Speaking to the SABC, a man who identified himself as “Batista”, who is the family’s private security personnel, says he received a call from them requesting assistance.
He expressed frustration after being refused entry into the family’s Hyde Park property.
“I’m working for them. I want to help them because they are calling me inside. It’s my boss, I don’t know what’s going on, that’s why I want to go inside. I don’t know what’s happening. That’s why I want to know.”
Meanwhile, police say the cause of the shooting is unknown at this stage and that two people will be taken into custody.
DEVELOPING | The son of a former Zimbabwean president has allegedly been involved in the shooting of a gardener in Johannesburg. SAPS Colonel Dimakatso Nevhuhulwi says the circumstances are unclear and that two people will be taken into custody. pic.twitter.com/nCU4dATHNz
— SABC News (@SABCNews) February 19, 2026
